The customer Lockheed Martin manufacturer of aircrafts and aircraft components needed a better solution for facilitating the installation of their equipment and components for assembly. The current process was becoming labor intensive as the set up to move the components became very time consuming and required several pieces of equipment and manpower just in preparation to transfer the components to the work stations. A lot of the times an overhead crane or tugs were used, but the task of lining up the components for mating became challenging.
The lifting equipment solution needed to accomplish three key tasks for the customer:
- Transfer components to work stations for aircraft assembly.
- Precise positioning for mating components.
- Easy maneuvering for odd shaped or unbalanced components.
The following technical specifications were required as part of the lift design:
- Include features for mobility in order for the lift to be attached to a rolling cart and when the lift supports the maximum payload; it will be capable of rolling smoothly for the positioning of installation.
- Sized for the maximum equipment and component footprint per customer requirements.
- Designed to assure stability and include necessary safety features.
- Lift controller to be capable of moving payload slowly and safely to within ½” of its mounting surface.
The Autoquip Solution
Autoquip recommended a custom-engineered Tork – T1 scissor lift designed and rated to lift the 50,000 pound requirement of each turbine engine. Several design features were added to the Tork scissor lift so that risk of damaging the turbine casings or stressing the parts while it is laid on its side would be minimized. These design features will stabilize the turbine engine while the overhaul takes place.
The Tork scissor lift is designed to set on guide rails to create stable flooring as the lift moves along 358” to the power station. This also creates a portable solution for moving the rails and lift to all four power generation stations.
• Custom fixtures built on top of the lift platform to cradle the turbine engine and insure a safe transfer.
• The platform also shuttles and extends to help align the gas turbines closer to the power generators.
• Two vertical cylinders are used for the required stroke which will raise the lift only 8”. • The vertical cylinders are designed with rod locks and are activated any time the lift is stopped which locks the lift in place and prevents any drifting.
• Pressure transducers sense and alert the operator if they have put more weight on the lift than the rated capacity.
The Solution Benefits
The chosen solution for this project is the T2 Tork Lift designed with a stable scissor leg structure that consumes less floor space and travels the same vertical distance. The T2 has unlimited possibilities when it comes to customizing, so our engineers got busy conceiving a plan to design the lift with all the features the customer required of their application.
The final design of the scissor lift included the following custom features:
- Spherical roller balls added to transport base for making the lift easy to roll to approximate position for installation.
- Integrated fork pockets for quick and easy pick up to relocate the lift to any workstation within the plant.
- Upper travel limit switch used to control travel requirements.
- Single-phase power unit for plug and play in almost any place in the plant the lift will need to be used.
- Special power unit with fan powered oil cooler due to creep speed as used for the precision positioning for mating components.
- Center of gravity marker on the lift platform allowing the workers to properly position components for a level position location in mating the components.